Relationships are never perfect; maintaining a strong one takes some work – by both people. It's not always an easy thing to do but it shouldn't feel like a chore. It's a good idea to keep some relationship basics in mind to keep things moving forward on a healthy track. Following these basics will help you create a safe and happy relationship with each other.
Building Healthy Relationships
What do I need to know?
Everyone has a right to a safe and healthy relationship – one that is based on mutual honesty. Disagreements are normal in a relationship, but how you choose to resolve your disagreements is what really counts. At the end of the day, you should feel happy in your relationship, what you're getting out of it and what you're putting into it. Being aware of your own feelings and your partner's, is a big part to making it work.
What should I do?
The first step to creating a healthy relationship is making sure you both want and expect the same thing – being on the same page is very important. The following tips will help you create and maintain a healthy relationship:
- Speak up with something's bothering you. It's always best to talk about it instead of holding it in. That will usually make it worse.
- Be mindful of your partner's wishes and feelings and make them aware of it.
- Find a way to compromise if you disagree on something. Conflicts should be solved together in a peaceful and rational way.
- Give your partner support and let them know when you need extra support yourself.
- Respect each other's privacy and space. Just because you're in a relationship together doesn't mean you have to share everything.
- Be thoughtful. If can be easy to forget to say or do something nice. Something small can make a big difference.
Remember that you have a right to a safe and healthy relationship, free from violence and free from fear. If you want more information about how to create one, call us at 580-76ABUSE (762-2873) or text 580-352-4255.
Want to find out more?
We're always happy to provide more information on our services. For advice, support or help,Please Get in Touch